[Geany-devel] Proposed patch to fix issues with command line file loading

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Jan 28 22:41:42 UTC 2011

On 29 January 2011 05:16, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > SciTE will do the same, and so will UltraEdit (the very old versions I
>> > used). If you want a permanent session, create a project.
>> I don't think so.
>> First, it is an inconsistent behavior: ATM, opening a file with e.g.
>> `geany myfile` will NOT result on the same state depending on whether
>> Geany is already opened or not. If Geany is already running, the file
>> will be appended to the session, but if Geany wasn't running, the
>> session not only don't load, but will be lost (since a new one is saved
>> on quit).
>
> For me that's pretty consistent: when I click a file, Geany will open
> that exact file only, be it in existing instance, if any, or in a new
> instance. Why should it reload some temporarily edited/viewed files,
> when I explicitly specified which file I want open?

Only because when you close Geany it will overwrite the previous
session files list so its lost.

> However, loading the previous files when a file is clicked if "Load
> files from the last session" is true, which this patch tries to
> achieve, would also be logical.
>
>> I personally use projects for the projects I work on a lot, and for
>> which I want almost all its files opened, and the default session for
>> everything else. Say, a standalone file to edit, a file part of a source
>> tree I don't work on enough to have a project file for it, etc.
>> This does NOT mean that my session is something I don't care to loose.
>
> You can a project and name it "Default Session". Or even several of
> those.
>
>> And anyway, why use the session if you don't care about the opened files?
>
> Why not use a "Default Session" if you care for them? You can even
> modify your .lnk file, panel command or menu entry to run "geany
> ~/path/Default.geany", except that not all DE-s allow menu editing.

You can't do that at the moment, but this is a good reason for the
patches change to load files and the project file.  Does it save the
open session (project) first??