[Geany-devel] Replacing the control socket with dbus

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Sat Dec 31 23:38:08 UTC 2011

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 17:26:50 +0100
Arthur Skowronek <arthur.s at redsmile.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> http://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/12/12436/12734680.jpg

No it's not, and we'll probably have to subclass GApplication too.

> with this little stupid meme I would like to start a discussion about
> replacing the current control socket living "somewhere" in the
> "~/.config/geany" directory space [...]

You can put it into /tmp (I do) or anywhere else.

> These tasks can be accomplished with GApplication too. On top of that we
> would get rid of:
>  * cluttering the filesystem with sockets

$ find / -xdev | wc -l
98565

That's a relatively small (~2.2GB) desktop installation, without /home.

>  * possibility of a dead lock in the doclist command

AFAIK, only open and openro are widely (really?) used.

>  * general freeze while a client is connected to the socket.

Have you tested how long that lasts? If it doesn't freeze for more than
0.1 seconds, there isn't no point, scintilla delays are much more
noticable.

> The downside would be that the required version for GLib would be pushed
> to 2.28 and this version is not available on the stable branch for all
> distributions.

I guess that'll be about the time we bump the requirements to gtk+
2.22 or 2.24. We only recently increased them to 2.16 though...

> My suggestion therefore is to put this at least on the Todo list and
> replace it with the planned feature to use dbus.

I'm not against that, but is it worth?

> Greetings and a happy new year

:)

--