[Geany-devel] Session Management Interim Solution Proposal

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Dec 31 23:27:43 UTC 2011

Hi All,

Seasons greetings to all.

New year new idea.

Since Gnome seems to have irretrievably broken X session management it
does not seem likely that proper session management will be solved in
the near term.  Sadly this seems to waste all the good work that the
guys put into the SM branch, thanks for the effort.

I am going to suggest an interim change to Geany that will at least
mean that it will re-start with the same main settings and
preferences.  Actually two options.

1. Although I have argued against it in the past, having all settings
save on change would at least ensure that a Geany killed by logout or
shutdown will still restart with preference/session changes intact, or

2. add a user action to save preferences/session.

My problems with 1. are the performance impact of writing the session
file list every time a file is opened, closed or tabs re-ordered and
the risk of corruption that that increase in file activity causes
(especially with multiple instances).

My problem with 2. is I will forget to do it.

Perhaps a mixed solution of preferences always saved, but session only
when the user asks is the way to go.

Any thoughts and suggestions?