[Geany-devel] GtkFileChooser "recent" annoyance

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Dec 21 01:58:26 UTC 2011

On 12/20/2011 10:18 AM, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> Le 20/12/2011 05:07, Matthew Brush a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is anyone opposed to me committing the trivial patch attached here.  The
>> comment I think describes it well enough, and if you're using recent
>> GTK+ 2.24.x you probably already know about it.
>>
>> I didn't want to commit without asking since maybe some people will find
>> this new "feature"[1][2] useful, I personally find it extremely
>> annoying, but I wouldn't want to fix it at the expense of annoying others.
>
> While I agree the recent list is not useful most of the time (probably
> even annoying since I don't know that dir) for me either, I doubt $HOME
> is really best.

I'm not certain, but I thought this was the previous behaviour wasn't
it?  That's the only reason I chose the home dir.

> I see 2 alternative, and I think better, choices:
>
> 1) use the basedir of the currently opened file;
> 2) use the "current dir" (e.g. dir from where Geany was started) [1].
>     AFAIK this will be $HOME for panel/shell-launched apps.

I did try this, and when started from the panel launcher, it seemed like
the directory was still '/usr/local/bin' (when using either "." or
g_get_current_dir()).

In my original email I was going to propose a few other locations (if
the directories exist else fallback to ~):

~/Documents or ~/documents
~/Projects or ~/projects

In particular ~/projects seems like a good one since this is already the
default project directory when creating a new project.

Also as you said in your other email, the last directory is also a good
option, though we'd need to store this in the config file (maybe we are
already?).

> And maybe add an hidden option in case ppl actually like the GTK feature?

It's actually a *GNOME* feature that crept into GTK+.  This seems to be
a pattern lately that makes me very sad. I guess they think because
their target users are idiots that everyone that uses GTK+ in their
program has the same target users.

I'm not keen to add another option to just unbreak the GNOME hacks, but
I guess we could do it.