[Geany-devel] Geany Color Schemes and Extras Page

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Dec 8 02:08:57 UTC 2011

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about updating the Extras page (geany.org/Download/Extras)
and I was wondering what to do with the current listing of colour schemes.

One of the colour scheme links (dark color scheme) doesn't work, it just
points to a domain placeholder page.  I'll remove this for sure though I
can't notify Amir Saffari since there's no contact info[1].  This has
been asked about in the user mailing list[2] though I didn't see it at
the time.

The other other themes (dark color scheme, vibrant ink, dark tango, and
oblivion2) seem to be great for the versions of Geany and languages they
support, but since all of the recent changes to the filedefs and color
schemes, they will probably do a disservice to the users if used with
newer versions.  What's more, since I've ported them over to the
geany-themes/named styles/color schemes stuff, they no longer even need
to be maintained separately.  With porting to geany-themes, they all got
updated to work with recent Geany versions and support for every
language starting with Geany 0.20.

So what I propose is to move these links (and also the online color
scheme generator) to a sub-page or sub-section for "legacy" color
schemes, with a description about when to use which colour schemes with
which versions. This way people who use older Geany versions can still
access them but they won't be the "default" schemes users will find.
I'd also like to put descriptions, screenshots and links to the
geany-themes color schemes on the Extras page. If time allows I plan to
also  extend the wiki page[4] to include information about the older
colour schemes and the transition/version stuff.

To Jason, Bernhard and Duncan (and anyone else), if you would like to
contribute to the geany-themes project, send me an email for commit
access or send pull requests through Github. It would even be great if
you could check out your respective themes to make sure I didn't
brutalize too much while porting them.

Any thoughts, objections, comments, or otherwise?

[1] Also no contact info for Oblivion2 and Tango Dark maintainer but the
links still work on the Extras page
[2] http://lists.uvena.de/geany/2011-April/006820.html
[3] https://github.com/codebrainz/geany-themes
[4] http://wiki.geany.org/themes/start