[Geany-devel] Default search behavior is irritating

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sat Dec 3 23:48:40 UTC 2011

Le 03/12/2011 20:56, Dimitar Zhekov a écrit :
> On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 17:24:45 +0800
> Nathan Broadbent <nathan.f77 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> my personal preference is to always wrap search, but keep the find
>> dialog open.
>
> This is your personal preference only.
>

>> So may I please request the following modifications to search:
>>
>>    - Move the 'Search' preferences to 'Editor' -> 'Search & Replace',
>>    instead of 'General' -> 'Miscellaneous'

I agree that Miscellaneous is not necessarily the most obvious, but
there are so few Search & Replace settings that giving them a whole tab
may make them a little easier to find, but also a little harder to
navigate the dialog.

Also, putting it in Editor makes no sense to me, or then we'd need to
have almost everything under Editor (some of Interface like tabs,
Editor, Files, etc.)

I'm not really against having a General -> Search tab, but I'm not sure
having a tab with 3/4 settings only is so much better.

>>    - Remove the "Always wrap search and hide the Find dialog" setting.
>
> What about the people who prefer to always hide the open dialog?

+1, that's a feature we have and people use, I don't think we should
remove it.

>>    - Add a 'Wrap search' checkbox to the Find dialog, below the 'Close
>>    dialog' checkbox.

This makes no sense to me to have it with "close dialog" since that last
option is only useful to have in the dialog (and only shown/used) when
"finding all", and here wrapping search doesn't count.

Having "wrap search" here is not useful IMO since it'd need the user to
click a checkbox not to click a button when a dialog pops... ouch.  IMO,
it only moves the problem, doesn't solve anything.  The general "wrap
search" however makes better sense.

>>    - Make 'Wrap search' checked by default.
>
> And that'll irritate anyone who prefers not to wrap, and has to uncheck
> 'Wrap search' any time (s)he starts Geany.

Yep, that's a default value that will probably please 50% users and
annoy the other 50%.  A pref's good, but changing the default doesn't
make much sense if you ain't got no well-done statistics about most
spread user opinion.

> There is one, and only one thing, that is unquestionably better IMHO:
> separate [ ] "Always wrap search and hide the Find dialog" into
> [ ] "Always wrap search" and [ ] "Hide the Find dialog". It can even be
> implemented in backwards-compatible way, so if the lead developers
> approve, I'll give it a try.

Yep, this sounds sensible to me.  It'd be better flexible and I can
understand somebody was one and not the other.  So yeah, go ahead :)

Regards,
Colomban