[Geany-devel] Default search behavior is irritating

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Sat Dec 3 19:56:46 UTC 2011

On Sat, 3 Dec 2011 17:24:45 +0800
Nathan Broadbent <nathan.f77 at gmail.com> wrote:

> my personal preference is to always wrap search, but keep the find
> dialog open.

This is your personal preference only.

> So may I please request the following modifications to search:
>
>    - Move the 'Search' preferences to 'Editor' -> 'Search & Replace',
>    instead of 'General' -> 'Miscellaneous'

It took you a little while to find these preferences, and Geany
has a manual anyway.

>    - Remove the "Always wrap search and hide the Find dialog" setting.

What about the people who prefer to always hide the open dialog?

>    - Add a 'Wrap search' checkbox to the Find dialog, below the 'Close
>    dialog' checkbox.
>    - Make 'Wrap search' checked by default.

And that'll irritate anyone who prefers not to wrap, and has to uncheck
'Wrap search' any time (s)he starts Geany.

There is one, and only one thing, that is unquestionably better IMHO:
separate [ ] "Always wrap search and hide the Find dialog" into
[ ] "Always wrap search" and [ ] "Hide the Find dialog". It can even be
implemented in backwards-compatible way, so if the lead developers
approve, I'll give it a try.

--
E-gards: Jimmy