[Geany-devel] geany on github; why not?

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sat Aug 27 16:02:41 UTC 2011

Le 22/08/2011 00:27, Jiří Techet a écrit :
> [...]
>
> Well, in my opinion the whole topic of git transition is
> over-discussed.

Looks the same for me, and I didn't see much new POV or useful infos
since a bunch of emails.

> The reason why I haven't been very active on Geany's
> mailing list are exactly these endless discussions which lead nowhere.
> To your steps:
>
> 1 and 2: GitHub or Gitorious are the only options if you want personal
> repositories (which is the main reason I want the git switch). It's
> not a crucial decision at all which one you chose - if you pick GitHub
> and realize it stinks, you can always move the repository to
> Gitorious. The only problem is that contributors would have to move
> their personal clones too, but it's not a big deal.

I'd like to at least have a synchronized version on git.geany.org.  Even
if it wouldn't have that personal clones, it could be the main clone
source or at least a backup mirror.

> [...]
>
> In my opinion, there are only 3 questions to discuss and all of them
> have answers by now:
>
> 1. Switch to DVCS from svn? (There have been many emails written about
> advantages of DVCS over svn on this mailing list and it seems most
> people wish the switch)

I would appreciate the switch, but since I actually use git-svn, that
would not change so much for me.  So yes, it'd be good IMHO, but no,
it's not an absolute need.

> 2. Use git, hg, or something else? (git is used by majority of
> open-source projects and nobody here is really familiar with anything
> else, so the answer seems to be clear too)

Yes PLEASE.  Git.  OK, I don't really know Mercurial or Bazaar, but I
also never seen any reason why I would like to use it over Git, which I
know pretty well.

> 3. Which website to use for the repository? (I suggest GitHub for now,
> and if it doesn't work well, it's no problem to change it for
> something else later)

I personally don't really care but take into account that maybe we don't
want to move the bugs (already mentioned in a previous thread...) for now.

Also I'm not sure I like such web sites (I'm not a web-interface fan),
but I can adapt myself and may even like it.

Regards,
Colomban