[Geany-devel] Unhide preferences

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sat Oct 23 01:06:25 UTC 2010

Le 23/10/2010 02:22, Lex Trotman a écrit :
> On 22 October 2010 11:04, Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
>> Le 22/10/2010 01:44, Lex Trotman a écrit :
>>> […]
>>>
>>> So to start the ball rolling, I'll suggest "extra" or additional" as
>>> the tab labels and "Extra/Additional rarely used preferences" as a
>>> bold title on the tab and the documentation. Let the disagreements
>>> start :-)
>> I'd suggest "Advanced", simply because most applications use this term
>> (Firefox, Gajim, for the one I know they have similar stuff).
>
> Hi Columban,
>
> The only reason I didn't suggest "advanced" is that Firefox is the
> only application I know that uses it as a grab bag of miscellaneous
> things (eg spell check is advanced?).  Most of the other tools I use
> keep advanced options associated with the topic they relate to, using
> a button or extender on the basic page to navigate to the advanced
> options.  This might be the best UI solution in the long term but its
> not what we want for now.
Yes, of course this kind of presentation is not the best. But the reason
why I think the advanced name isn't that bad is that I see the
Firefox-style preference list more as "there's all, do what you want
with it" than "this is useful extra stuff".
So with the first definition, I think the idea that you need to know
what you do before playing with this is correctly suggested with
"advanced". (BTW FF adds a button labeled "I'll take care, I promise" or
something like that to access this editor :D)
But there's probably no such "dangerous" options in Geany, so it doesn't
really matter.

But that was only my POV, and without some further info (e.g. not all
prefs will appear). Anyway, I don't think my suggestion is the Right
Thing(tm), just my feeling ;)
If you all prefer "additional", why not.

Cheers,
Colomban