[Geany-devel] Unhide preferences

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Oct 23 00:22:57 UTC 2010

On 22 October 2010 11:04, Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> Le 22/10/2010 01:44, Lex Trotman a écrit :
>> On 22 October 2010 03:10, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, let's keep it simple.
>>
>> Sure, requiring a restart for all of them is safe.

> I personally like the idea :) Can I suggest a Filter entry to filter the
> displayed entries by name for easier search? :D
>
>> Of course the "problem" that is likely to generate the most heat is
>> what to call these prefs :-D, they can't continue to be called
>> "hidden" as they are now visible in a GUI.
>>
>> Since these are meant to be rarely used preferences I'd suggest the
>> name needs to reflect that, so also justifying them being separate
>> from other preferences on the same topic, otherwise there will be
>> continual suggestions that they be moved to be with the other
>> preferences on that topic.
>>
>> So to start the ball rolling, I'll suggest "extra" or additional" as
>> the tab labels and "Extra/Additional rarely used preferences" as a
>> bold title on the tab and the documentation. Let the disagreements
>> start :-)
> I'd suggest "Advanced", simply because most applications use this term
> (Firefox, Gajim, for the one I know they have similar stuff).

Hi Columban,

The only reason I didn't suggest "advanced" is that Firefox is the
only application I know that uses it as a grab bag of miscellaneous
things (eg spell check is advanced?).  Most of the other tools I use
keep advanced options associated with the topic they relate to, using
a button or extender on the basic page to navigate to the advanced
options.  This might be the best UI solution in the long term but its
not what we want for now.