[Geany-devel] backup pref - Re: Changed file saving implementation for systems with GIO

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Nov 23 16:27:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 08:20:58 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 November 2010 06:04, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 08:57:51 +1100
> > Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think either:
> > 1. unsafe_save_backup should be renamed to gio_unsafe_save_backup to
> > avoid confusion.
>
> Ok, attached.

Applied, thanks. I put the new pref field last just in case anyone is
accessing the other fields from a plugin.

> > 2. call the pref make_backup and make it work for all save
> > implementations, and maybe have a GUI option for it.
>
> To do this we would almost be writing the whole of GIO with the
> algorithm I outlined previously.  So we probably should do that
> instead.  For now lets just offer this easy option that provides
> improved performance on remote filesystems.

Fine with just the patch. I was only suggesting copying the
existing file first for the backup when using non-gio saving.

Nick