[Geany-devel] geany-plugins depends on GIO

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Wed Nov 17 23:40:04 UTC 2010

On 18.11.2010 00:31, Enrico Tröger wrote:

> I do agree.
> It was not to hide the discussion or anything.
> I was just making some changes to the plugins' build system or tested
> something or whatever and stumpled upon the error.
> So I made the little patch, sent it to Frank and added a note that even
> after compiling the plugin wouldn't work correctly because of the
> compiled-in Geany version.
>
> Honestly, I assumed Frank would just apply the patch, would have
> answered: yes, I'll fix it and voila.
> At this point I didn't know and expect the current lengthy discussion
> on the list.
>
> Mea culpa.

I think it's OK if it happens once in a while; often you just don't
think about it when you're discussing and sometimes the topic appears to
be not important enough.

But it's not the first time I notice that there's been quite some talk
behind the themes. I feel it happens a lot (e.g. you never see
discussions when it comes to upgrading the integrated scintilla copy,
but yet it happens), and that makes me feel the development process is
not open enough to the community. But that's a vital thing and Geany (in
fact, all FOSS projects do) benefits from involving the community as
much as possible.

OTOH the geany mailing lists have increasing traffic recently (which is
definitely a good thing, even though I'm having trouble to follow
sometimes) so I guess it's getting better.

Best regards.