[Geany-devel] Multiple instances of Geany issues

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon May 24 10:32:33 UTC 2010

On 24 May 2010 18:18, Dimitar Zhekov <hamster at mbox.contact.bg> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2010 14:38:53 +1000
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And I just thought of another one, filetypes files, see
>> filetypes_save_commands() called from main_quit() so there can be a
>> race here too I think.
>
> Indeed. Now:
> - Why are the filetype saves postponded until quit?

The way it was, didn't matter until multiple instances

> - Should the secondary instances do filetype saves?

Well... oh why not?  Make it work like projects.

> If we want the filetype save to be consistent with "Edit -> Preferences"
> and "Project -> Properties", I think the commands should be saved on
> "Build -> Set build commands", for both main and secondary sessions.
> And since there is nothing else to be saved, main_quit() will not need
> to do filetypes_save_commands(), hence no race.

Sounds like a plan.

>> On 24 May 2010 01:04, Dimitar Zhekov <hamster at mbox.contact.bg> wrote:
>>
>> > Can anyone please test if Windows waits for the WM_QUIT message to be
>> > processed before sending a WM_QUIT to another program on logout?
>> > Just open 2 Geany-s, modify a file in both of them and logout. If the
>> > "Do you want to save?" messages are displayed one by one, we'd better
>> > drop the locking/renaming at all, it has too many potential problems.
>>
>> Also answered in other thread.
>
> Yes, but I had half an hour today to test under Windows, and found yet
> another "On dear!". On Win~1 logout, any modified files are silently
> discarded, and the .conf file is not saved (== the normal geany stop
> sequence is not executed). This is currently consistent with the X
> behaviour - both will lose your files/settings, that is - so I'm not
> sure it can be considered a bug...

Either that or both are considered a bug, especially since you lose
all your unsaved files, but thats separate from this discussion.

But once we add sm support for X,
> the Win~1 logout should be dealt with too.
>
> (BTW, closing 2+ Wordpad-s works just fine for us - the save prompts
> appear one by one. Win~1 waits for a program to close before asking
> the next program to quit.)

But what happens when there are no unsaved files to use the user as
the serialising critical section :)