[Geany-devel] altername session management implementation

Dimitar Zhekov hamster at xxxxx
Mon May 24 08:16:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, 24 May 2010 14:38:53 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Comments from "Multiple instances of Geany issues" thread...
>
> > I think so too, and my X sm is raceless, so..
>
> AFAICT only partly raceless, please point me to where I've
> misunderstood, I'm not that great at reading diffs.
>
> My understanding is:
>
> [...]
>
> For projects I can't see where it saves different versions for each
> instance on a session manager save so there can be a race here.

It doesn't save the projects at all. A project consists of:
- Settings - these are saved by the Project -> Properties function.
- List of open files - saved into geany-smclientid.conf.

Since my goal is to continue a restarted session as if it was never
interrupted (well, with the exception of the editor files), not saving
the project is the right thing to do.

> [...]
>
> And I just thought of another one, filetypes files, see
> filetypes_save_commands() called from main_quit() so there can be a
> race here too I think.

Yes, if 2+ sessions have modified the commands for the same file
type... Which brings questions belonging to the save settings thread,
so I'll answer there.

> If locking still needed, what problems do you see?? On filesystems and
> platforms where it works it will remove races, on platforms where it
> doesn't work things won't be any worse than they are without it.

Perhaps I'm too wary. The only case I can think about is a network
directory configured so that the files are writable, but not deletable
(a reasonable precaution for a shared directory). In such a case,
O_EXCL will leave stalled files, and rename will fail too.

Under *ix, the configuration directory should have deletable files
anyway, otherwise the socket/symlink will not work properly.

--
E-gards: Jimmy