[Geany-devel] altername session management implementation

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon May 24 04:38:53 UTC 2010

Comments from "Multiple instances of Geany issues" thread...

> I think so too, and my X sm is raceless, so..

AFAICT only partly raceless, please point me to where I've
misunderstood, I'm not that great at reading diffs.

My understanding is:

For Geany.conf its raceless because when Geany is closed by signal it
doesn't save and when closed by session manager it saves a different
file for each instance.

For projects I can't see where it saves different versions for each
instance on a session manager save so there can be a race here.

For user files, if the session manager allows user interaction then
the standard save file prompt will occur, serialising saves through
the user, if no interaction is allowed then no saves are performed.

And I just thought of another one, filetypes files, see
filetypes_save_commands() called from main_quit() so there can be a
race here too I think.

also from other thread.

> we'd better
> drop the locking/renaming at all, it has too many potential problems.

If the races I noted above are wrong or fixed then I agree, otherwise
its still needed.

If its still needed, what problems do you see?? On filesystems and
platforms where it works it will remove races, on platforms where it
doesn't work things won't be any worse than they are without it.