[Geany-devel] altername session management implementation

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu May 20 13:05:59 UTC 2010

On 20 May 2010 22:33, Dimitar Zhekov <hamster at mbox.contact.bg> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 May 2010 21:23:49 +1000
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Aside from that, the standard geany quit is unaltered. It does what it
> > > ever did.
> > >
> > Ok, in Eugenes version only one Geany, the first one run, will save the
> > Geany.conf so you know what you will get next time you start a Geany,
> does
> > your version allow all Geanys to save their geany.conf, ie last closed
> > "wins"?

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was talking about closing instances manually, I
understand how the sm works, I am trying to work out what behaviour the user
sees when closing instances manually.

> Nobody "wins" or "loses". The sm-geany-quit (which is actually broken
> into 3 parts, that's how the sm works) does not touch the standard
> geany.conf at all, and it remains the way it was before the session
> was restarted.
>
> Each geany saves it's own geany-smclientid.conf file only, with it's
> own preferences, file list etc. And of course, it reads it's own .conf
> file only when started by the SM.
>
> (and when started manually, it performs a normal startup, if that's
> what you'll going to ask next :)
>
> > Your session management feature sounds great, lets each instance of Geany
> > set the config it wants, but I'm just trying to understand how it works
> with
> > the rest of Geany and when I change what instances are running.
>
> Generally, it works more like "suspend-resume", not like "close all
> geany-s and start them again".
>
> The goal is to continue as if your "working session" was never
> interrupted. It is the user who should save geany.conf IMO, be it by
> using "Edit -> Preferences" or whatever, while the session manager
> should just reproduce all running geany-s as closely as possible.

As I said above I'm no longer interested in what happens when a session is
continued, what happens when I close things manually, and then start new
instances of Geany.

Clearly these don't use sm specific versions of .conf, but what version of
the Geany.conf will they see, when is it saved?  When some Geanys are still
running and I start another?

When I close one or more and then start another?

> > Oh yes how does your patch work if the X sm libs are not available (eg
> > Windows), can we set a symbol to compile without it?
>
> Yes, that's derived from the Eugene's original implementation (#ifdef
> HAVE_LIBSM).
>
> Ok, fine :-)

 I'm getting tired and grumpy, I'll see your reply tomorrow, apologies for
being a bit slow at this time.