[Geany-devel] multiple instance save-settings - Re: Race condition when saving geany.conf

Eugene Arshinov earshinov at xxxxx
Wed May 19 18:13:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, 19 May 2010 14:09:57 +0300%
Dimitar Zhekov <hamster at mbox.contact.bg> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 May 2010 11:07:09 +0400
> Eugene Arshinov <earshinov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Now committed, together with "Tools > Save configuration" menu item.
>
> I hope "Save configuration" works for all instances, and not for the
> "main" instance only, as someone suggested. With "main", the options
> can be saved by "Edit -> Preferences -> OK" anyway, and I would like
> to be able to save them from a secondary instance, and run a new Geany
> with them.

Preference -> OK is a good point… I did not know it saves configuration
file immediately (yeah, again). Seems that it makes "Save configuration"
unnecessary (at least, for main instance).

I am against enabling "Save configuration" for secondary instances
because (in case of current behaviour when the main instance saves
configuration automatically on exit) it may confuse users. Suppose you
have main instance and secondary instance running. You change
preferences in the secondary instance and use "Save configuration", then
restart the main instance in order to make it apply new settings… and
when the main instance is closing it silently overwrites them. So I
thinks it's reasonable to force users to change their preferences in
main instance only.

Or, as another option, we can remove automatic saving of preferences
when closing. As preferences are saved immediately after Preferences
dialog is closed, this option wouldn't do any harm. Or would it?

Best regards,
Eugene.