[Geany-devel] multiple instance save-settings - Re: Race condition when saving geany.conf

Eugene Arshinov earshinov at xxxxx
Wed May 19 07:07:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 15:23:31 +0300%
Eugene Arshinov <earshinov at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:08:18 +0000%
> Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> > > I havn't looked in detail at what the -i option does but I assume
> > > it doesn't use or accept socket connections.
> >
> > Yes. The socket code only works for the 'main' instance.
> >
> > > If so then I assume all Geany commands
> > > without the -i  will be the same instance, and this is the one
> > > that should be able to save.
> >
> > (If a second instance of geany is run without passing filenames to
> > the first, -i is implied).
> >

> I really like this idea. It is simple to understand, rather
> convenient and uniform with the behaviour of "new-instances", i.e.,
> those instances should not touch any global data, either the default
> session or the settings.

Now committed, together with "Tools > Save configuration" menu item.
Though, I think we should think of a better name for it as currently
"Save configuration" and "Reload configuration" mean different things
by configuration, which will probably confuse users.