[Geany-devel] Safe file saving - permissions issue

Jon Senior jon at xxxxx
Fri May 14 17:02:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, 14 May 2010 18:42:26 +0200
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> Sigh. So much work just to save files :(.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I regularly use geany over
an sshfs connection with few or no problems. The issues that I have
found (and I don't know if the change in back end would have any effect
on this) are:

- Saving large files is very slow, even for minor changes. I think that
  this is an sshfs thing and probably beyond geany's control.
- If the connection goes down, geany detects that the file is no longer
  there and prompts me to resave it. If I ignore this and re-open the
  connection, I have to use reload to force geany to cancel the "dirty
  file" flag. Once reloaded, the first save (Ctrl-S) is treated as a
  Save As... opening the save dialog box. This would be fine, but if the
  directory contains a lot of files (~350) the time taken to display
  the dialog becomes very long (~ 5 minutes). This is far slower than a
  simple ls, so clearly the dialog is probing other details from the
  files. All of which means that a broken ssh connection can take
  upward of 5 mins before work can continue.

The second problem seems to be a problem of internal logic within geany
although I can't simulate it by "touching" a file so I think it only
happens if a file goes missing.

Jon