[Geany-devel] Safe file saving - permissions issue

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri May 14 16:42:26 UTC 2010

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 04:20:14 +0200, Colomban wrote:

Hi all,

sorry for the long delay, I couldn't make myself into this topic again.

> I think the best way is to use GIO when possible, since it is meant
> for that; and it is unrealistic to handle each and every limitation of

I'm unsure what we should do.
It's sort of depressing reading about all the problems and different
solutions. Long time ago, a simple fwrite() was enough to get data
written to the disk.
Then, GIO+GVfs arrived and problems began.

Without replying to each detail in the discussion, I see two ways:

- we get the GVfs people to fix their bugs and make the gvfs-fuse
backend work correctly

- we switch completely to GIO and depend on GLib 2.16/GTK 2.14 and
rewrite any file IO in Geany to do it like GTK wants us to do it

Sigh. So much work just to save files :(.