[Geany-devel] multiple instance save-settings - Re: Race condition when saving geany.conf

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Mar 7 15:16:46 UTC 2010

On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 01:17:03 +0100, Thomas wrote:

>On 05.03.2010 22:49, Dominic Hopf wrote:
>> Am Freitag, den 05.03.2010, 16:54 +0000 schrieb Nick Treleaven:

>>> The idea is that the user can just click the desktop icon to get a
>>> new window. Raising an existing window is a Window Manager function
>>> IMO.
>> That's exactly the behaviour I'd expect too. :)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dominic
>>

>I only expect this for apps which are truly multi-instance aware. This
>doesn't apply for geany. And even then, the desktop icon could have
>the -i in the run command and you would achieve the same. I think the
>desktop icon is well in the hands of geany (IIRC make/.waf install
>creates some shortcuts which we could define to have -i).
>
>For example, I expect this from apps like OpenOffice where a new
>instance is merely a new document. But I don't expect this from e.g.
>Pidgin where it's clear that 2 instances won't work well (and in fact,
>opening pidgin via some icon on the desktop/in the menus just raises
>the current instance).
>
>I disagree with this being a window manager function. The system
>should just try to create a new instance. The app then decides whether
>to open a new instance or not (the current behavior).

I'd like to keep the current behaviour (i.e. create a new instance).
Rather, we could add, if necessary, a command line option which simply
raises the window of the existing instance.