[Geany-devel] multiple instance save-settings - Re: Race condition when saving geany.conf

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Sun Mar 7 00:17:03 UTC 2010

On 05.03.2010 22:49, Dominic Hopf wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 05.03.2010, 16:54 +0000 schrieb Nick Treleaven:

>>> Shouldn't it just bring the existing instance on top without creating a
>>> new instance? That's what I would expect (i.e. you only get a new
>>> instance if you use -i).
>>>
>> The idea is that the user can just click the desktop icon to get a new
>> window. Raising an existing window is a Window Manager function IMO.
>>
> That's exactly the behaviour I'd expect too. :)
>
> Regards,
> Dominic

I only expect this for apps which are truly multi-instance aware. This
doesn't apply for geany. And even then, the desktop icon could have the
-i in the run command and you would achieve the same. I think the
desktop icon is well in the hands of geany (IIRC make/.waf install
creates some shortcuts which we could define to have -i).

For example, I expect this from apps like OpenOffice where a new
instance is merely a new document. But I don't expect this from e.g.
Pidgin where it's clear that 2 instances won't work well (and in fact,
opening pidgin via some icon on the desktop/in the menus just raises the
current instance).

I disagree with this being a window manager function. The system should
just try to create a new instance. The app then decides whether to open
a new instance or not (the current behavior).

Best regards.