[Geany-devel] build dialog default entries color

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Jun 23 00:40:23 UTC 2010

On 23 June 2010 03:39, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ChangeLog, 2010-06-17:
>
>  * src/build.c:
>   Make default Build dialog entries grey, not light grey (too hard to
>   read on a white background).
>
> Instead of trying various shades of gray (the default commands are
> almost unreadable on my background, and were absolutely invisible with
> light gray), why not use the inactive text color? Patch attached.
> Another option will be to use (bg.r + text.r) / 2, (bg.g + text.g) / 2,
> (bg.b + text.b) / 2 - this ignores the monitor gamma, but who doesn't.

Thats just an "average" suggestion :-D

Good idea though, I find the grey too close to active and Nick finds
the light grey too close to background.

Basically any fixed colour is not going to be a good for everyone
since its visibility depends on your theme and how you set your
brightness and contrast.  I wanted to make it possible to use the RC
file to set the colour but there isn't a state to hang it off and I
don't know how/if you can add new states to the RC file.

So a calculated colour as far as possible from the colours in use
(text and bg) or the insensitive colour (your next post)  would be
better.

I didn't use insensitive in the first place since I was worried that
it would make the entry look, well, insensitive.

But a quick test using Python shows it looks very different to having
the whole entry insensitive, and since the insensitive colour is
stylable I think its OK to use that.

Probably do it tomorrow