[Geany-devel] Find in files - Re: Patches required by gproject

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Jun 21 22:53:35 UTC 2010

On 22 June 2010 00:08, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 08:47:54 +1000
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > I like your idea in general, the only thing I don't like about it is
>> > that you wouldn't see the patterns in the FIF dialog, which would make
>> > it a bit unclear what you are searching for. I would propose to have a
>> > "file types" edit box that would be editable by the user even if no
>> > project is opened - this makes sense because users might want to
>> > search for restricted set of files even if they don't use any project.
>> > By default the pattern could be * to search in every file like now
>> > (empty edit box should do the same too). Then there would be the 'Use
>> > project patterns' you propose (not active when no project is open).
>> > When checked, the "file types" edit box would become inactive but
>> > filled with the project patterns so it would be visible directly in
>> > the dialog what the user is searching for. What do you think about it?
>
> Sounds good.
>
>> Having a filetype pattern in the find in files dialog could be useful.
>>  Note that --include is a GNU grep extension, so a blank file pattern
>> should be the default and should not generate the option to grep so as
>> to maintain portability.
>
> Geany currently passes a list of all files and directories to Grep. I
> think it may be best if Geany does the filtering (and hence also the
> recursing). Also we may want to always filter out hidden files and
> broken links.

That would be the best way since then there could be full control (and
of course you would prevent infinite loops due to cycles in the
filestructure :-).  But it would be way more work, also currently the
file/directory list is not expanded if the recurse option is set. I'd
do it Jiri's way for now and use --include so long as its not the
default.