[Geany-devel] Find in files - Re: Patches required by gproject

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Jun 21 14:08:01 UTC 2010

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 08:47:54 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I like your idea in general, the only thing I don't like about it is
> > that you wouldn't see the patterns in the FIF dialog, which would make
> > it a bit unclear what you are searching for. I would propose to have a
> > "file types" edit box that would be editable by the user even if no
> > project is opened - this makes sense because users might want to
> > search for restricted set of files even if they don't use any project.
> > By default the pattern could be * to search in every file like now
> > (empty edit box should do the same too). Then there would be the 'Use
> > project patterns' you propose (not active when no project is open).
> > When checked, the "file types" edit box would become inactive but
> > filled with the project patterns so it would be visible directly in
> > the dialog what the user is searching for. What do you think about it?

Sounds good.

> Having a filetype pattern in the find in files dialog could be useful.
>  Note that --include is a GNU grep extension, so a blank file pattern
> should be the default and should not generate the option to grep so as
> to maintain portability.

Geany currently passes a list of all files and directories to Grep. I
think it may be best if Geany does the filtering (and hence also the
recursing). Also we may want to always filter out hidden files and
broken links.

Regards,
Nick