[Geany-devel] Patches required by gproject

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Jun 20 22:47:54 UTC 2010

>> Then we could add a FIF dialog checkbox 'Use project patterns'. That
>> also allows the user to still do normal searches outside the project.
>>
>> That option would also be useful to search files with no extension -
>> README, ChangeLog, NEWS, etc without having to add all those filenames
>> to the pattern.
>>

> Yes, my patch was a quick hack how to introduce the functionality into
> geany without changing much of the code.
>
> I like your idea in general, the only thing I don't like about it is
> that you wouldn't see the patterns in the FIF dialog, which would make
> it a bit unclear what you are searching for. I would propose to have a
> "file types" edit box that would be editable by the user even if no
> project is opened - this makes sense because users might want to
> search for restricted set of files even if they don't use any project.
> By default the pattern could be * to search in every file like now
> (empty edit box should do the same too). Then there would be the 'Use
> project patterns' you propose (not active when no project is open).
> When checked, the "file types" edit box would become inactive but
> filled with the project patterns so it would be visible directly in
> the dialog what the user is searching for. What do you think about it?

Having a filetype pattern in the find in files dialog could be useful.
 Note that --include is a GNU grep extension, so a blank file pattern
should be the default and should not generate the option to grep so as
to maintain portability.