[Geany-devel] save all on build - Re: Patches required by gproject

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Sun Jun 20 15:25:13 UTC 2010

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 17:08:40 +0200
Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 00:22, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 19 June 2010 03:22, Nick Treleaven
> > <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> >> I don't think it's a good pref for Geany to save all open files.
> >> This pref is perhaps better suited only for files in the current
> >> project's path.
> >
> > Well, it should be at least the tree, not just the path, but the
> > reason for the grouch above was that I had just done it *again*, and
> > all I had was one .hpp and one .cpp, no project in sight.
>
> I agree that there should be an option in preferences. On the other
> hand, I understand that with how the geany project works it doesn't
> know what files belong to the project - the subtree starting from
> base_path may be a subset of the project and you have no way to tell
> whether an open file outside the tree belongs to the project or not.

Yes, I agree. Lets do an practical example. We are renaming a function
inside a file inside geany/tagmanager/include/*.h, but usage of the
functions are e.g. in geany/tagmanager/*.c. Given the option is saving
all files under geany/tagmanager/include/ we don't catch all possible
changed and important files for the change where as we still have the
risc of saving unwanted changes inside.

> For gproject it's clear what files are included in the project (all
> files satisfying the given pattern inside a certain directory) so it
> makes more sense to do it by default there.

For a real project its worth to think about even I'm not sure whether
I'd like it.

Thanks,
Frank
--