[Geany-devel] Git switch

Daniel Marjamäki daniel.marjamaki at xxxxx
Mon Jun 14 15:39:25 UTC 2010

I believe I have some relevant info about github. I have a repository
at github. http://www.github.com/danmar/cppcheck
I used sourceforge+svn when I started cppcheck. But then I moved the
code repository to github.

For the code hosting I think github is really good. The code review
features are really useful. It is simple to make forks.
The biggest disadvantages with github is that its bug tracker is not
good enough and there is no release management.

> * How many people contribute to one, and what hosting service do they
> use and what is the experience, is performance consistent and better
> than Sourceforge SVN, all around the world?

30 people have contributed to cppcheck according to ohloh. Most of
those contributors only provide a few patches and nothing more.

I would say that github has consistently better performance than
sourceforge. Not just the repository but also the webpages. It has
happened that github has been down but in my feeling it has just been
temporary technical problems.

Best regards,
Daniel