[Geany-devel] Git switch

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at xxxxx
Mon Jun 14 09:31:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:47:57 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 June 2010 15:41, Thomas Martitz
> <thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:
> > Am 14.06.2010 03:58, schrieb Lex Trotman:
> >>
> >> I guess we should also consider that no matter how easy we think it
> >> will be there will probably be some disruption during the
> >> changeover so it should be now (immediately after a release) or
> >> not until the next release, which I think is probably better so
> >> that the hosting and workflow issues can be worked through some
> >> more.  Jiri, hold that Gitorious project to keep out cyber
> >> squatters.
> >>

> > 0.19 is just out, why wait for the next release? 0.19 is so recent,
> > waiting for the next release will have no advantage (because we are
> > in the same situation then as today). Can you elaborate that please?
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Sure, multi part answer.
>
> 1. Yes you are right, it doesn't have to be *immediately* after a
> release, just before the heavy activity approaching a release.
>
> 2. What might be better if there is some delay?
>
> Because I don't think we have got a good handle on host, bug tracker
> etc.  The responses were far from unanimous for a switch to Git,
> though no one was heavily against it.
>
> As far as I can tell Jiri is the only one who has responded who has
> actual experience running a Git project and that is only on Gitoroius.
>  So I'd ask:
>
> * Does anyone else run a Git project, which host and whats the
> experience?

I run a git project on github.com and gitorious.org, but since it's a
single-man project that isn't ready for public consumption, it's just a
backup of my git repository in the event that all my local copies of my
git repository disappear at the same time.

I have push access to http://gitorious.org/banshee-community-extensions
and I have nothing bad to say about it. I don't use the web interface
much, honestly speaking, except for linking the commit hash of a
certain bugfix to a bug report. I just mostly fetch, pull, and push.

I think something that might be worth noting is that we should pick a
host that has support http:// fetching, and even better, smart http://.

> * How many people contribute to one, and what hosting service do they
> use and what is the experience, is performance consistent and better
> than Sourceforge SVN, all around the world?

In Singapore and Malaysia, gitorious.org and github.com have been
extremely stable and fast, unlike sourceforge.net.

> * And does anyone have experience using any other DVCS and hosting
> service that would make them recommend it, or recommend against it?

I've used bzr before, But I would recommend against it, as bzr still
seems to have the occasional repository format migration which, if
things go wrong, can cause your repositories to suddenly become
unmergeable. Also, it's one branch per repository, which leads to as
many copies of the project as you have branches (i.e. not so cheap
branching).

> * should the bug tracker be moved?  Can it be done without losing
> anything?

I'm against any bug tracker that lacks either a read/writeable web
interface or a read/writeable e-mail interface. (I like
launchpad.net's bug tracker, but that's just me.)

> There are rather a lot of options listed here:
> https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitHosting  Has anyone used any?
>
> The important things we need to know about a hosting service are:
> * likely stability, some have gone offline during the GFC, but this is
> hard to judge
> * performance for a good range of users in a good range of locations
> * reliability, low downtime
> * features, hosting clones, bug tracking ?????
>
> My answer is that I only run Git locally, so I cannot add any
> information.
>
> Who can?  I'm happy to collate the replies.
>
> So far, Jiri I take it you are happy with Gitorious, it has the
> features, but some don't like its style, does anyone have performance
> problems with it? Whats its reliability like?
>
> For Github, some really don't like its style :-)

I don't really care about whichever hosting service we use, as long as
it has:
 * A good and stable internet connection to various places around the
   world (I particularly care about Malaysia and Singapore).
 * A fairly usable web interface that supports showing logs, browsing
   the tree, showing diffs for commits. (github.com and gitorious.org
   satisfy me in this aspect).
 * git:// read-only access, git+ssh:// push access, http:// read-only
   access. http:// push access would be a plus, though.

P.S. What's GFC?