[Geany-devel] Git switch

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Sun Jun 13 21:34:24 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 17:59, Chow Loong Jin <hyperair at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 13:11:43 +0200
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:30:24 +0200, Jiří wrote:
>>

>> > This choice will also influence the workflow in which you will use
>> > git. If contributors cannot have their branches hosted easily, then
>> > the the Linus model (one pusher pulling from contributors) will be
>> > harder to realize.
>>
>> I doubt we want that.
>> Who should be "our Linus"?
>> I can't do that and I guess Nick also not. And I also don't see any
>> advantage for Geany with such a scenario.
>>
>> I'd rather keep the existing way of committing: a couple of people
>> have write access to trunk (or then master). They commit their
>> changes and patches and whatever.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Enrico
>>

> Then let's not go the Linus route. We can always adopt a working model
> as follows, which I've attempted to translate from the svn workflow as
> best as I can:

Who says that there has to be just one Linus? There can be more Linus'
for geany. The main point is that for a new contributor that starts
contributing often there doesn't have to be push access to the
repository - just one of the Linus' pulls the changes and pushes them.

> We host Geany (git) on sourceforge.net. Developers who have push
> access (i.e. the ones who currently have commit access to svn) can push
> new commits there.
>
> Contributors:-
> 1. Clone the git repository from sourceforge.net
> 2. Do their work locally, and produce commits of the fixes/new features
>   they implement.
> 3. They then submit these back to you via:
>   * Mailing list: git format-patch can generate patches formatted
>     properly for this purpose.
>   * Remotely hosted branches: gitorious.org/github.com can be very
>     useful for these, no matter how much you hate them. It'd be worth
>     having a mirror of Geany on gitorious.org/github.com to allow for
>     users to perform remote-cloning and pushing of new commits, so
>     that you can either rebase or merge these back into the main tree
>     hosted at sourceforge.net.

This is exactly the way we use git for libchamplain
(http://projects.gnome.org/libchamplain/):
* there's the official repository at gnome
(git://git.gnome.org/libchamplain) - in your case it will be
sourceforge
* there's a convenience mirror for contributors at gitorious
(http://gitorious.org/libchamplain)

By the way, I created a geany project at gitorious when submitting my
original patches:

http://gitorious.org/geany

Don't worry, I'll give up the rights for it if you decide for
gitorious as a convenience repository for geany ;-).

Jiri