[Geany-devel] Git switch

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Sun Jun 13 12:42:03 UTC 2010

Am 13.06.2010 13:08, schrieb Enrico Tröger:

> I really don't like github and gitorious. Also, as I said I'm not that
> familiar with GIT but I don't see why features like forking or such
> should be done by a hosting service, aren't these all features of the
> VCS itself?

Yes and no. Forking at the hoster side has several advantages. You get a
free host for the remote, the forks are categorized and associated with
the mainline, the actual changes in the fork are visible for anyone
(most importantly for the maintainers of mainline). And you get the
forks of several contributors collected in a single place making it
easier for people to pick out their favorite changes etc.

Best regards.