[Geany-devel] Git switch

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Jun 12 22:46:05 UTC 2010

On 13 June 2010 00:33, Thomas Martitz
<thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> so it looks like nobody is really opposed to a git switch

We havn't heard from Enrico yet, wait till after 0.19 release when he
has some time to think :-)

and some people
> would even prefer it (including me), I would like to suggest having a
> brainstorm on how a switch could look like, and a final decision whether to
> do the switch or not.

Yes, good idea

> Some points to be considered:
>
> 1) I have generally good experience with repo.or.cz for hosting and I like
> that it concentrates on the bare minimum, but there are other hosters which
> could be considered. repo.or.cz also makes forking dead simple.
>
> - I think there's already a (or the) git mirror on repo.or.cz, I guess that
> could be made writable and reused.

Any host must support hosting cloned branches for long lasting changes
like sm that need community testing and contribution, most people are
on dynamic IP addresses and can't publish a local repo.

> 2) Git offers different ways of doing it. We could go for a more svn-like
> management where certain people are allowed to push to a main repo or we
> could do it like the linux kernel where a single person manages the mainline
> and pulls from all the other guys.

IMO the Linus model only really works if the main committer does it as
their main job, works less well for projects where they are part time,
even with several people doing it.

> 3) move geany-plugins as well?

I would think so, it would be a big pain to have to use two differing
systems when trying to keep these in sync. (at some point I'm sure
there will have to be incompatible API changes that require plugin
updates)

> I would very much like to see the switch! git-svn is a large pain in the
> arse.

So much so that I use SVN to talk to the repo and git just locally on
the working tree.