[Geany-devel] Git switch

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sat Jun 12 15:10:04 UTC 2010

Hey there,

Le 12/06/2010 16:33, Thomas Martitz a écrit :
> Hey,
>
> so it looks like nobody is really opposed to a git switch and some
> people would even prefer it (including me), I would like to suggest
> having a brainstorm on how a switch could look like, and a final
> decision whether to do the switch or not.
I personally like Git more than SVN, but I'm not sure a switch is needed
if the ones for those it really change something aren't really
interested -- especially since there is already a read-only Git repository.

> Some points to be considered:
>
> 1) I have generally good experience with repo.or.cz for hosting and I
> like that it concentrates on the bare minimum, but there are other
> hosters which could be considered. repo.or.cz also makes forking dead
> simple.
>
> - I think there's already a (or the) git mirror on repo.or.cz, I guess
> that could be made writable and reused.
I think it'd be more natural to have the repo on SF since most of Geany
stuff is there (bug tracker, SVN, etc.). Apart this, I've no thoughts on
this point, I never used any of them for my own.

> 2) Git offers different ways of doing it. We could go for a more
> svn-like management where certain people are allowed to push to a main
> repo or we could do it like the linux kernel where a single person
> manages the mainline and pulls from all the other guys.
That's a maintainer choice but I feel more natural that the main
developers (plurial, yes), say Encrico, Nick and Frank, have commit
access. This would also allow for change to come in master even if one
of the developers have not time to review, and I think that they are
wise enough to do the right choices -- they do already anyway. But
again, a maintainer's choice.

> 3) move geany-plugins as well?
Would be definitively cool IMO :)

> I would very much like to see the switch! git-svn is a large pain in
> the arse.
Agreed, even though I think git-svn pretty handy -- but yes, plain Git
is better that the gateway hack.

Regards,
Colomban