[Geany-devel] [ANNOUNCE] gproject - yet another geany project plugin

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Tue Jun 8 17:03:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 23:38:19 +0200
Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:

> * I find the session-based project conceptually wrong - having several
> files opened doesn't mean that they belong to the same project - for
> instance I often work on several projects in parallel and have their
> files opened in parallel. Briefly, session != project

Depends what you call of a project. How about "the files in a certain
directory and it's subdirectories"? All open source software is
distributed this way, and without any IDE-specific projects.

With this definition, the Geany "project" is only a set of files (from
the entire project) that you're currently working on, plus the ability
to Compile one of them, or Make the project. Yes, session ! = project,
and you can't, say, set individual compilation settings for a certain
file. But there is a Makefile for this, and heavier IDEs like
Code::Blocks.

The reason to include all project files in a list will be to provide
additional functionality for them. However: source/header switching can
be implemented without any project; searching in the project files is
not much different from Find in files; finding a project file is much
easier with the file manager; headers, sources and other files already
have different icons in the file manager, and you can sort them by
name, type and a bunch of other things. Novadays FMs can even show you
a tooltip, consisting of the first 10-15 lines of the file - but it
would have been nice if they could skip the GPL. :)

--
E-gards: Jimmy