[Geany-devel] GIO

Brad Wilson brad at xxxxx
Mon Jun 7 20:47:30 UTC 2010

On 06/06/2010 12:33 PM, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 09:10:41 -0500, Brad wrote:
>
> Hey,
>

>> The only reason I ask is that it (seems to) solve the GVfs bug issues
>> at least after I applied Алексей's patch and for me that is really a
>
> Which patch exactly?

The filename is "40_gio_file_saving.dpatch".  I attached it to this
e-mail for easy reference.

>> I was following the other "Safe file saving - permissions issue"
>> thread but it I couldn't tell if a decision had been reached, and it
>> covered a few other topics.
>
> Well, I think for the medium-term, we should use GIO completely for
> file IO. But this would mean we would need to adjust a lot of code (in
> Geany), we would need to find a solution for the tagmanager (which
> does low-level file IO on the files) and probably change the plugin
> API. And last but not least, we would need to bump to GTK version
> requirement from 2.8 to 2.12, better 2.14.

I, of course, like this solution the a lot, and it seems like the most
robust to me, as GIO (as far as I understand) is meant to be GLib's file
interface.  But I should qualify that I don't actively develop (yet) in
GTK or C and am not the one that could do the necessary heavy lifting to
make it happen. So, I am a pretty choosy beggar. =)

> But once done, the other problems are probably less critical or solved
> indirectly.
>
> For now, I would like to fix the various you guys had but currently
> it's hard for me as GVfs doesn't work for me at all though this is
> probably only a local problem with my setup.

If I can be of any help with testing/etc. please let me know, I LOVE
Geany and would like to make her better with anything that I know how to
do.  Again, I only have an academic experience with C and none with
GLib, so I probably would not be a good candidate for development.

> So, if anyone has any clue, feel free to share it :).
>
> As said in another mail, the planned release is delayed a bit, so we
> could fix this in time, probably.

That would be really fantastic.

Thanks very much.

-Brad