[Geany-devel] Multiple instances of Geany issues

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Jun 4 02:25:33 UTC 2010

On 4 June 2010 02:56, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 16:38:57 +1000
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> How would a Geany with your sm and whatever patches you choose to
>> apply behave against the (now) 7 points?  The reason I'm asking is
>> that I've lost track of exactly what patches were proposed and their
>> effects and I think (but correct me if I'm wrong) that some of the
>> patches were superseded by others.
>
> Here is what the patches do:
>
> Entire configuration ::= all geany.conf settings, the list of open
> files, the interface layout and the recent files / projects
> The project ::= project settings and project file list
>
> Edit -> Preferences -> OK or Apply: [save-settings-fix.diff]
>
> before: Save the entire configuration
> after: Save the Preferences dialog settings only
>
> Build -> Set build commands: [save-filetypes-now.diff]
>
> before: Save nothing (the changed commands are saved on quit Geany or
> Project -> Close or switch to another project)
> after: Save the changed commands
>
> Quit Geany: [save-settings-fix.diff, save-filetypes-now.diff]
>
> before: Save the entire configuration, the project and the changed
> build commands
> after: main instance: Save the configuration except for the settings
> from Edit -> Preferences; save the project
> after: secondary instance: save the project

Ok, now its clear thanks, I'll try and put the table together on the weekend.

> As of the sm, it implements #2 in a more extended variant, requires
> save-filetypes-now.diff (for the filetypes files race), and neither
> requires nor implements #1 #3..#7
>
> I'd prefer to discuss the multiple instances and session management
> separately. The user/interactive functionality of Geany is leading,
> while sm is just a technical problem of whoever implements it, and
> should not affect, much less define the user/interactive behaviour.

The items affecting user visible behaviour were suggested as solutions
to race conditions, if your sm doesn't expose that race and so is
independent of the user visible changes thats great.  In trying to
understand the overall sm position those visible changes are relevant,
and I'll note your sm can go either way.