[Geany-devel] Multiple instances of Geany issues

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Thu Jun 3 16:56:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 16:38:57 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> How would a Geany with your sm and whatever patches you choose to
> apply behave against the (now) 7 points?  The reason I'm asking is
> that I've lost track of exactly what patches were proposed and their
> effects and I think (but correct me if I'm wrong) that some of the
> patches were superseded by others.

Here is what the patches do:

Entire configuration ::= all geany.conf settings, the list of open
files, the interface layout and the recent files / projects
The project ::= project settings and project file list

Edit -> Preferences -> OK or Apply: [save-settings-fix.diff]

before: Save the entire configuration
after: Save the Preferences dialog settings only

Build -> Set build commands: [save-filetypes-now.diff]

before: Save nothing (the changed commands are saved on quit Geany or
Project -> Close or switch to another project)
after: Save the changed commands

Quit Geany: [save-settings-fix.diff, save-filetypes-now.diff]

before: Save the entire configuration, the project and the changed
build commands
after: main instance: Save the configuration except for the settings
from Edit -> Preferences; save the project
after: secondary instance: save the project

As of the sm, it implements #2 in a more extended variant, requires
save-filetypes-now.diff (for the filetypes files race), and neither
requires nor implements #1 #3..#7.

I'd prefer to discuss the multiple instances and session management
separately. The user/interactive functionality of Geany is leading,
while sm is just a technical problem of whoever implements it, and
should not affect, much less define the user/interactive behaviour.

--
E-gards: Jimmy