[Geany-devel] multiple instance save-settings - Re: Race condition when saving geany.conf

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Jun 4 01:27:34 UTC 2010

2010/6/3 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:

>> > Sounds ok to me. But I didn't have a look at the code to find maybe
>> > some potential problems with such a change.
>> >

>> Okay.  Just for clarity, the discussion about this topic has moved to
>> a new thread <http://lists.uvena.de/geany-devel/2010-May/002358.html>.
>> Dimitar and Lex have already posted there some patches.
>
> Oops, sorry.
> I still didn't manage to follow the thread. It's currently way too
> time-consuming and also, as you know, I'm not such a big fan of this
> multiple instance stuff anyway. Geany was never meant to work like this.

Yep, and I wasn't interested in multi instance either until I realised
that it allows me to have Geany on multiple screens, I do  lot of
switching back and forth between .hpp and .cpp files so showing them
both would be a *big* help.  Helping Eugene and Ditmar get a few
wrinkles out of the multiple instance issues (which are mostly exposed
by the session management stuff) is easier, no way easier, than making
Geany do multiple windows.

> Anyway, I'll concentrate on the upcoming release for now and read and
> reply in the mentioned thread later (hopefully still this weekend).

Correct prioritisation, 0.19 is safe enough (decided after much
discussion :), although there are some patches which should go on
0.20, or merge one of the sm implementations each of which contains
them.