[Geany-devel] Command-line option to open a project (was: Questions about Geany project support)

Dimitar Zhekov hamster at xxxxx
Tue Feb 23 19:48:46 UTC 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 21:58:38 +0300
Eugene Arshinov <earshinov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm..., here you describe the behaviour when that check button is
> *checked*, right? I have it checked too, so I know this behaviour. I
> didn't know what Geany do when the button is unchecked.

Sorry, I should have been more careful.

> > Why such an option exists is not entirely1 clear to me. In the other
> > development environments/editors I've seen, opening a project always
> > loads it's files, with or without a quetsion whether to close the
> > currently open files (if they're not in a project).
> >

> Same for me. But, discussing whether this option is needed or not and
> cutting it out if it isn't needed would require more efforts than
> enhancing SM to work properly whether the button is checked or not :-)

Now that I think of it, with "Project Based Session Files" always on,
and when no project is open, on "Save Yourself" geany SM could create a
<smclientid>.geany file in the session directory and store the file
list there. Then, if Geany is started with a smclientid argument, but
without a project name, it can check for such a file and load it.

There won't be any ambiguity what files to load on startup, and the SM
support will be based on the Geany session support, so that cursor
positions in the different files, any explicitly selected file types,
any Read only flags etc. will be restored - something that can't be
achieved by storing the file names on the command line.

--
E-gards: Jimmy