[Geany-devel] Command-line option to open a project (was: Questions about Geany project support)

Eugene Arshinov earshinov at xxxxx
Tue Feb 23 18:58:38 UTC 2010

Hi.

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:45:50 +0300%
Dimitar Zhekov <hamster at mbox.contact.bg> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 01:17:05 +0300
> Eugene Arshinov <earshinov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > SM branch seems to be complete. Everybody is welcome for testing,
> > especially with "Preferences -> General -> Misc -> Use
> > project-based session files" check button unchecked; I don't know
> > what it does...
>
> First, it stores the list of open files in your project file. In
> particular, when you exit Geany, the list is stored in the project
> file and not in geany.conf.
>
> Then, when you open a project, geany closes all currently open files
> and loads the files from the the project.

Hmm..., here you describe the behaviour when that check button is
*checked*, right? I have it checked too, so I know this behaviour. I
didn't know what Geany do when the button is unchecked.

> > ...and whether it can really infect project-related behaviour I
> > changed.
>
> With this option turned on, and a project open, SM should probably
> save the project, and store a single SmPropValue "project.geany" in
> the properties instead of the full list of open files.

Yes, when the button is checked, remembering the opened project is
enough. Actually, that's how it's already implemented (committed to
SM recently).

> Why such an option exists is not entirely1 clear to me. In the other
> development environments/editors I've seen, opening a project always
> loads it's files, with or without a quetsion whether to close the
> currently open files (if they're not in a project).

Same for me. But, discussing whether this option is needed or not and
cutting it out if it isn't needed would require more efforts than
enhancing SM to work properly whether the button is checked or not :-)

Best regards,
Eugene.