[Geany-devel] Build, Compile, Execute [Built Setting] for various filenanetypes extension

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Feb 23 06:27:48 UTC 2010

Hi Noli,

I'm not sure that my point was clear enough.

Geany has a unified model of a file type.  When a file is loaded, its type
is determined (or it is set by Document->Set Filetype ->...).  This type
controls the text highlighting and the filetype dependent build menu
commands.

Scite (and apparently TextAdept) does not have a unified model, the commands
have to be specified separately by extension as your post showed.  I am not
saying one model is better than another, they are just different.  In this
case Scite can be more flexible, but the Geany model has other advantages
and AFAIK this is the first time this problem has occurred.

I am about to start more changes to the Geany build system that will further
improve its flexibility.  But providing separate commands for different
extensions within a single filetype is not in the plan because as I said,
its never been needed before.  Without that capability Glpk can still be
supported in two ways:

1. each of the extensions is a separate filetype, but using the same
highlighting (BTW what lexer do you use with Scite because AFAIK it doesn't
support GLPK) this is supported now in SVN with custom filetypes

2. a plugin is added which modifies the command for GLPK files depending on
the extension, this requires the re-make to be available (and the plugin to
be written) but might be considered to be cleaner

To use method 1 all you need to do is to copy your current filetypes file so
you have one per extension, set the compile (or whatever) command in the
[build-menu] section for each, and edit filetype_extensions.conf to
reference them.