[Geany-devel] Adding an R parser

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Feb 22 21:35:50 UTC 2010

On 23 February 2010 00:57, Jon Senior <jon at restlesslemon.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:25:49 +0000
> Liviu Andronic <landronimirc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been investigating filetypes.r to see if it is possible to make
> > Geany more friendly (when <ctrl>+right/left, selecting, double-click
> > selecting, etc.) toward strings containing "." (dot), and I noticed
> > this line:
> >
> #wordchars=_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789
> >
> > Changing it to
> >
> wordchars=._abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789
> >
> > doesn't seem to make a difference, although the documentation
> > specifies that "wordchars
> > These characters define word boundaries when making selections and
> > searching using word matching options."
> >
> > Any ideas on what's going wrong?
>
> I might be wrong, but I think that some of the stuff in the
> filetypes.foo files has now been taken over by Scintilla. Certainly,
> Scintilla seems to be responsible for comments and I'd suspect that you
> can change the comment start parameter to whatever you like with no ill
> effects!

It has no effect because the Scintilla R parser ignores the wordchars
argument and instead uses its own hard coded definition (which has a bug).
Which parts of the filetype definition files are actually used is dependent
on the parser for the particular language.  Unfortunately I know of no
documentation in the Scintilla project (other than the code:-) that defines
what capabilities each parser has and what parameters are used.