[Geany-devel] Build system branch 2.0

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Sat Feb 13 16:29:59 UTC 2010

Am Samstag, den 13.02.2010, 16:58 +0100 schrieb Enrico Tröger:
> On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 21:21:03 +1100, Lex wrote:
>
> Heya guys,
>
> since we have quite different ideas of the future of the whole build
> systems features and in particular about its configuration using GUI
> dialogs, I got a weird idea:
>
> Why not moving the build system code into a plugin?
>
> This isn't completely new, I think to remember we discussed this before
> Lex' first rewrite of the build system and decided to not do this to
> keep it in the core and so always available.
>
> Though having the build system as a plugin has some advantages, IMO.
>
> First, Lex could realise it as he wants, as complex and flexible as
> necessary giving users all the powers they want to and don't limit them
> with any hardcoded defaults (I completely understand this wish).
>
> And alternatively, we could implement a very basic, limited and easy to
> use(KISS) build system alternatively, similar to the old one(as in 0.18
> and before) alternatively to the advanced one.
>
> Then users can choose which build system plugin they want to use and so
> have even more flexibility.
>

> This would probably make things a bit harder and would require some
> additions to the plugin API, especially to get project support properly
> involved but I think it might be worth in the long term.

Basic functionality for building, compiling and running programs (yes,
as in 0.18 and before) should definitely keep included in Geanys core.
Functionality which extends (or even might replaces) this - as Lex's
effort does - could be implemented as a plugin, yes.

I personally prefer any KISS solution over a solution which just
provides (maybe too much) features. The hit-you-in-the-face-factor, you
know? ;)

From the user point of view the dialog for setting includes and
arguments in current SVN trunk is okay so far concerning the
hyitf-factor. It maybe could be optimized in other apsects, in special I
am missing tooltips which explain the fields as in any other place in
Geany. The usage of the GtkExpander in the right place could even reduce
the hyitf-factor a bit. ;)

Regards,
Dominic

--
Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com>

http://dominichopf.de/

Key Fingerprint:
A7DF C4FC 07AE 4DDC 5CA0 BD93 AAB0 6019 CA7D 868D