[Geany-devel] Build system branch 2.0

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sat Feb 13 15:58:34 UTC 2010

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 21:21:03 +1100, Lex wrote:

Heya guys,

since we have quite different ideas of the future of the whole build
systems features and in particular about its configuration using GUI
dialogs, I got a weird idea:

Why not moving the build system code into a plugin?

This isn't completely new, I think to remember we discussed this before
Lex' first rewrite of the build system and decided to not do this to
keep it in the core and so always available.

Though having the build system as a plugin has some advantages, IMO.

First, Lex could realise it as he wants, as complex and flexible as
necessary giving users all the powers they want to and don't limit them
with any hardcoded defaults (I completely understand this wish).

And alternatively, we could implement a very basic, limited and easy to
use(KISS) build system alternatively, similar to the old one(as in 0.18
and before) alternatively to the advanced one.

Then users can choose which build system plugin they want to use and so
have even more flexibility.

This would probably make things a bit harder and would require some
additions to the plugin API, especially to get project support properly
involved but I think it might be worth in the long term.

Any ideas?