[Geany-devel] Build system branch 2.0

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Feb 6 10:21:03 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I have created a branch for further development of the build system called bs2.

I have added the current state of the design spec to the doc directory
and a temporary Python prototype implementation of the configure
dialog in scripts (since I know how much you all hate reading GUI
descriptions).  It is intended to delete this before merge but it will
be useful to get ideas on making it usable, for example which fields
should be visible normally and which only in advanced mode.

@Nick as the padding guru you might have some suggestions, in my
opinion applying padding to rows containing buttons or combo boxes
makes a disproportionate increase in size, so for now I've taken it
off, see what you think.

Running the script (python build_dialog_prototype.py) produces a
window with two buttons, one produces the dialog as it will be when no
project is open and one as it will be when a project is open. Clearly
the dialog has no code or data behind it, but the "advanced" and "show
all" buttons work. Apply, cancel and ok all close the dialog.

Please be warned, if you havn't read the spec (which is the only
documentation until the manual is updated) that this looks complex
when you first see it in advanced mode.  But the dialog does no more
than bring together settings that already exist in various hidden
places in Geany.