[Geany-devel] What's the point of compiling geany without regex support?

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Wed Aug 25 19:47:08 UTC 2010

(OK, the mailing list doesn't like posts with bigger attachments.
Resending the email with the compressed patch.)

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 13:46, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:02:45 +0100
> Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> > The Waf based build system builds with the shipped mini implementation
>> > if the --enable-gnu-regex option is given.
>> > Otherwise it checks whether the system provides something usable and
>> > uses this and if not, it uses the shipped variant.
>> >
>> > If this doesn't work similar for the autotools, it's probably a bug.
>>
>> I think configure.ac needs to be fixed to do this.
>
> I've done this now but I'm not sure how to test it works when the
> system doesn't provide regex.
>
>> Then we can remove all #ifdef HAVE_REGCOMP lines (in fact we should
>> probably remove them anyway).
>
> Now done for src, left checks in tagmanager.

Ah, good, it seems that we have been doing the same thing in parallel
:-). The only functional difference in my patch was that I also used a
separate AC_CHECK_HEADERS check for regex.h similarly to what you did
for regcomp with AC_CHECK_FUNCS. I could test the AC_CHECK_HEADERS
test by renaming the system regex.h to something else - the strange
thing was that AC_CHECK_FUNCS always executed the if-found condition
no matter what the header name was. I have no idea how AC_CHECK_FUNCS
performs the check :-(.

Attached you'll find a patch that updates the regex library to the
latest version from glibc. This removes the warnings Lex was
experiencing on a 64bit machine. I looked at how ctags does it and
made the patch in a similar way. I've only updated the automake based
build - I have no experience with waf and felt a bit lazy to learn it
but should be easy for someone who is familiar with it.

It's good you've left the checks in tagmanager. I have a series of
patches (under tm_cleanup branch in my git clone) that makes the ctags
part of tagmanager as close to mainline as possible (but preserving
all tagmanager extensions and geany's parsers of individual
languages). I haven't published this patch series here yet - I'll wait
until my remaining patches get reviewed so there are not too many
patches flying around.

Regards,

Jiri