[Geany-devel] Open files in Geany at the same workspace

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Thu Aug 12 11:21:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 13:45:45 +1000
Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+tools at mega-nerd.com> wrote:

> Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
>
> > It's not about that. On session restart, the workspace of the _root_
> > window may be 0 or # for all instances. That's legal and normal under
> > XSMP, my 2nd mail from yesterday describes why.
> >
> But shouldn't the SM save the workspace the geany instance was running
> on for each geany instance?

On logout, it saves the workspace, position etc. of the first window
open after the application connects to the SM [== Geany main window].

> And if the SM saves the old workspace number and restarts it on the
> same workspace number, won't geany just do the right thing and create
> the socket as needed?

On startup, it applies the saved settings, including workspace, to the
first window open after the application connects to SM - there is no
"restart on the same workspace". The session/window managers may do
that, but it's not so trivial, and the other window settings must be
applied anyway. So at least the light SM-s apply everything together.

> Sorry, i'm trying not to sound too dumb here, but I had never heard
> of XSMP and know little about session management.

XSMP is a PITA. Take my word for it, using the Geany main window
workspace is OK (but unimplementable), while the root window workspace
is not guaranteed to work.

Nick/Enrico/Frank, maybe it's time to include X11 session management in
Geany? It's been about two months now, so I'm quite confident it works
properly.

--
E-gards: Jimmy