[Geany-devel] R lexer should consider "." (dot) as part of word

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at xxxxx
Wed Aug 11 18:53:25 UTC 2010

Dear devels
Please read below.

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:35:50 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 February 2010 00:57, Jon Senior <jon at restlesslemon.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:25:49 +0000
> > Liviu Andronic <landronimirc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I've been investigating filetypes.r to see if it is possible to
> > > make Geany more friendly (when <ctrl>+right/left, selecting,
> > > double-click selecting, etc.) toward strings containing
> > > "." (dot), and I noticed this line:
> > >
> > #wordchars=_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789
> > >
> > > Changing it to
> > >
> > wordchars=._abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789
> > >
> > > doesn't seem to make a difference, although the documentation
> > > specifies that "wordchars
> > > These characters define word boundaries when making selections and
> > > searching using word matching options."
> > >
> > > Any ideas on what's going wrong?
> >
> > I might be wrong, but I think that some of the stuff in the
> > filetypes.foo files has now been taken over by Scintilla. Certainly,
> > Scintilla seems to be responsible for comments and I'd suspect that
> > you can change the comment start parameter to whatever you like
> > with no ill effects!
> >

> It has no effect because the Scintilla R parser ignores the wordchars
> argument and instead uses its own hard coded definition (which has a
> bug). Which parts of the filetype definition files are actually used
> is dependent on the parser for the particular language.
> Unfortunately I know of no documentation in the Scintilla project
> (other than the code:-) that defines what capabilities each parser
> has and what parameters are used.

I've filed a bug report against Scintilla [1] but it was invalidated
since SciTE, hence Scintilla, could be configured to consider a
"." (dot) character as part of the word in a *.R file. What it needed
was to replace
word.characters.$(file.patterns.r)=$(word.chars.r)

with
word.characters.$(file.patterns.r)=.$(word.chars.r)

(note the right-hand dot) in the r.properties file. Can this setting be
translated to Geany?

Thank you
Liviu

[1]