[Geany-devel] Uses of filetype build commands in a project

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Apr 2 00:27:05 UTC 2010

On 2 April 2010 03:42, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> As we have discussed a little whether project filetype commands are
> worth having, I thought I'd share what I've begun to use them for
> lately when working on Geany.
>
> reStructuredText:
> Manual  make doc
> Hacking make hacking-doc        %p/doc directory
>
> 'Manual' is for when I'm editing doc/geany.txt.
> 'Hacking' is for when I'm editing HACKING.
>
> C:
> API     make api-doc    %p/doc directory
>
> This generates the API docs and is available for any C file I might be
> editing.
>
> When I close my Geany project, the default filetype commands are
> unaffected. I think project filetype commands are really useful.
>
> Regards,
> Nick

Great to hear, I might also add that I have found them useful with different
targets or when there is more than one version of a toolset:

eg:

For Python, projects can ensure that the correct version is used (2.5 vs
2.6/3.x)  since old code may not yet be converted and new code won't run on
the old tools.

For C, generation of 64 bit or 32 bit (cross compiled) executables, and I
would expect that you could also have a Windows version.