[Geany-devel] avoiding confusion - Re: Cut line - Re: some features i would love to see optional or standard

ccss net occssneto at xxxxx
Thu Sep 17 22:03:03 UTC 2009

i dont really know anyone that uses ctrl-k for anything so not sure how it could be an anoyance.

--- On Tue, 9/15/09, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

From: Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com>
Subject: [Geany-devel] avoiding confusion - Re: Cut line - Re: some features i would love to see optional or standard
To: geany-devel at uvena.de
Date: Tuesday, September 15, 2009, 8:36 AM

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 16:50:29 +0200
Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz at student.HTW-Berlin.de> wrote:

> > What if you cut something then decide you just want to delete it and
> > cut lines starting at the cursor? Then you'd be confused when pasting
> > with extra lines at the start that you might not see (maybe you're
> > cutting more than a page of lines).
> >

> Everything has his pros and cons. I never used that feature anyway, but
> I think nano's behavior appeals me :) IMO confusion is not the best
> argument, if it's documented (and you get used to it anyway). I'm
> getting used to a lot of small pieces in Geany which were slightly
> confusing when I ran first into them. They aren't a big deal at all.

I think it comes down to whether it's worth the extra risk of not doing
what the user wants sometimes for the benefit of the extra feature. In
this case I think the benefit doesn't outweigh the possible annoyance.

(The proposed behaviour would be something else to remember, when the
programmer should be thinking about their code).

Regards,
Nick